Saturday, June 30, 2007

Yet Another Post About Arcade Fire

...or is it "The" Arcade Fire? Not sure. Anyway, I'm listening to Funeral for about the twentieth time and I don't think I've really appreciated the whole album until this listen. I really thought some of the early songs on it were just filler -- there to justify an entire album and make way for the likes of "Crown of Love", "Wake Up", and "Rebellion". Was I ever mistaken. In my mind this is what makes a truly great album. With one exception that I can think of (the Shins' Chutes Too Narrow), if I really dig an album after the first listen, it's probably going to get old fast. On the other hand is an album like Funeral -- complex, strange, grating on the ears at times, but ultimately eminently listenable. I haven't gotten around to listening to Neon Bible even once -- it's been three years and Funeral hasn't fully grown on me yet.

3 comments:

Marc said...

Guess I'll have to give it another listen.

smootheP said...

Agreed with you on Funeral...

... although I don't think we can apply this thinking/conclusion to every album - I went through the same thing w/ Funeral, and just within the past 3 months have come to really enjoy it start-to-finish. So, after my first listen to Neon Bible, I was thinking this may also occur... I was wrong. Neon Bible has a couple of bright spots, but just doesn't come together quite like Funeral does. Not to burst your bubble, but I want to burst your bubble. Don't get your hopes up too much for Neon Bible.

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Marc's brother-in-law...you should check out their EP. It's a little more raw but very wonderful. They are really good in concert. Also, check out "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!" if you want some weird music.

 
Site Meter